Herbal steaming can turn your everyday skin care routine into something magnificent. Steaming improves circulation, softens rough skin, helps to clear pores, plumps your skin, and gives a wonderful glow. You can follow a simple steaming with a spritz of cool water or toner and be on your way…or you can give yourself a complete facial, following up with a scrub, mask, and toner.
Best of all, steaming is free. And if you want an extra boost to your skin care, you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen!
Adding chamomile to your facial steam helps your muscles to relax, and it soothes your skin. It also disinfects your skin, making this an ideal steam addition for blemished or irritated complexions. The scent of chamomile calms the mind and nerves, making this a wonderful way to end the day—or a great rejuvenator before a big date!
Stuff to Know:
- Spot test any products or ingredients before using any homemade products on your face, head, or body, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to irritation and/or allergies.
- Keep your face several inches away from the source of the steam so you don’t steam-burn your skin.
- Do not steam for longer than 10 minutes.
How to steam your skin with chamomile
- 1–2 quarts of water
- 2 chamomile tea bags OR 1/4 cup dried chamomile
- Remove all makeup first. Tie your hair back away from your face. You might also want to protect your hair with a shower cap or towel.
- Bring the water to a boil on the stove.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add the tea or dried flowers and stir gently.
- Move the pot to a table or other space where you can sit comfortably for 5–10 minutes.
- Close your eyes and place your face above the steam.
- Optional: drape a towel over your head to enclose your face in the steam.
- Inhale deeply the scent of chamomile and allow yourself to relax.
- Steam your skin for up to 10 minutes.
- Dip your fingertips in cool water and splash lightly on your face, or spritz your face with lavender or rose mist.
- Pat your face dry. Do not rub. Apply moisturizer as necessary.
- For a complete facial, follow the steaming with a gentle scrub (try my Homemade Salt Scrub or Lemon & Sugar Scrub). Then apply a face mask (try my Yogurt & Honey Mask or Egg White & Lemon Mask). Finally, apply toner (try my Green Tea Toner). Apply moisturizer as needed.
Do you steam your skin as part of your regular skin care routine?