If your hair is coarse, brittle, or over-processed due to coloring, perms, or straightening treatments, it might seem like daily conditioner just won’t do the job. Sure, your hair is lovely right after you’ve conditioned it, but a few hours later, you’re a frizzy mess again.
Back in the ’80s (not that I know from personal experience … ahem), hot oil hair treatments were a big thing. You’d put a little plastic capsule filled with hair oil in the microwave for a few minutes, then slather it on your head, and 15 minutes later, wash it out.
Many people got good results from hot oil treatments! And wonderful variations exist these days, of course, using Moroccan argan oil and other blends. But they can be prohibitively expensive and wasteful. I use this serum by Giovanni when I blow-dry and/or heat style my hair, to keep my super-processed locks sleek and shiny. But it’s meant to be a daily styling treatment, not a weekly deep conditioner. Fortunately, there’s an easy, inexpensive, and non-wasteful way to replicate the results of conventional deep treatments, using simple olive oil. And if you use organic olive oil, then even better!
Unlike commercial treatments, there’s no plastic mess and no microwaving involved. And since you use the steam from your shower, there’s less time and less overall mess involved, too! Just apply the oil to your hair, cover with a shower cap, then hop in a steamy shower. Wash, shave, etc., as usual, leaving your shampooing for last. After only 5 steamy minutes, your hot oil treatment is complete! Shampoo and condition as normal. (Don’t forget to end your shower with a cold rinse! )
Your hair will be super-soft, shiny, and tangle-free for a long time!
Stuff to Know:
- If your scalp is oily, apply the olive oil only to the ends of your hair.
- Spot test any products or ingredients before using any homemade products on your face, head, or body, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to irritation and/or allergies.
- Do not store olive oil in the shower.
Homemade Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Mask
- 1/4 cup organic olive oil
- Gently comb or finger-comb out any knots in your hair, working from the ends toward the roots.
- Using your hands, finger-comb the olive oil through your hair, thoroughly saturating the ends and the shaft.
- Pile long- or medium-length hair into a twist.
- Cover with a shower cap.
- Take a warm and steamy shower for 5 minutes.
- Remove the shower cap, then shampoo and condition as usual. End with a cold rinse!
- Towel-dry your hair, then style as usual. Enjoy your lustrous locks!
Do you use oil on your hair?
Have you ever used a commercial hot oil treatment?