Here in North America, we’re nearing the end of summertime and strawberry season. But we’re also in some of the hottest days of the year, which can sometimes cause oily skin and breakouts. Fortunately, it’s easy to take advantage of late-summer strawberry harvests to make a simple face mask that will control oil and clear up blemished skin!
These delicious berries contain salicylic acid, a fruit acid that acts as an astringent and bacteria-figher, to help clear up zits and clean away excess oil.
In addition, egg whites help to tighten and tone the skin, and honey’s antibacterial properties help to ensure a blackhead-free face (or chest, back, or other body part!).
This mask is textured, as well, making it a nice exfoliator to scrub away dead skin cells and reveal a glowing, vibrant complexion!
As always, it’s best to use organic and fresh strawberries, eggs, and honey ~ all of which can be found in almost any natural food store or farmer’s market.
Stuff to Know:
- If your skin is also sensitive, add plain yogurt to your mask.
- Use this mask right after making it; do not store it for future use.
- Spot test any products or ingredients before using any homemade products on your face, head, or body, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to irritation and/or allergies.
Strawberry Face Mask for Oily or Blemished Skin
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp. honey
- Hull the strawberries, slice them, then place in a bowl and mash with a fork until pulpy.
- Add the egg white and mix well.
- Drizzle in the honey and stir until just incorporated.
- Remove all makeup (try using coconut oil).
- Using small, circular movements, apply the strawberry mixture to your T-zone and cheeks, or just to your blemished or oily areas. Avoid the eye area.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse well with tepid water.
- Apply moisturizer or face cream afterward, as needed.
Have you ever used strawberries in your beauty routine?
Do you use strawberries in your cooking or baking?