Happy Thursday! And happy sum-sum-summertime to youuuu! Why are you inside looking at the Interwebs instead of picnicking, sailing, or napping in a hammock? Oh, right. You’re probably at work, procrastinating.
Well, procrastinate away today. I’ve got some fab-o links for you to peruse, read, and get inspired by. Check ‘em out! Then get outside for some fresh air and sunshine! Promise??
1. Cheap chic ruined us, via Salon
An interview with the author of a new book, Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion, in which she discusses the massive environmental and emotional disaster that is the result of literally tons of cheap clothing sold in the U.S. It’s a very thought-provoking subject, one that’s close to my heart. In 2010, I went a year without buying clothes and learned a lot about my own consumption habits, while vowing never to buy cheap, crappy, ill-fitting, emotionally draining clothes again. So far, so good. You can read all about my year without buying clothes here. But click the link above to check out the Salon interview, too! It might get you thinking about doing something similar.
2. Olympic Cyclist Evelyn Stevens talks about her journey from Wall Street to London, via Outside Magazine
Such an exciting and inspiring story! Stevens only started racing in 2008, and didn’t even quit her Wall Street job until 2009. And now, this summer, she’s an Olympic cyclist! It boggles the mind and inspires the quads, I tell ya.
3. Decorate with octopi! Via CasaSugar
Octopus is the new owl. Trust me on this.
Brilliant, creative, and adorable ideas.
5. Make a hula hoop chandelier, via Dollar Store Crafts
File this under: Why Didn’t I Think of That?!
6. Stressed and online? Visit Calm.com for 2 minutes of relaxation. Via Mashable
Got two minutes? CTFO, baby. (chill the f out, natch )
7. An updated list of lesser-known editing symbols, via Janet Reid
For professional use only. Be sure to click the link above to see them all.
8. Sci-fi film posters re-imagined as pulp fiction book covers, by Timothy Anderson (via Boing Boing)
9. Iconic ’70s skateboarder Cindy Whitehead, via Tomboy Style
The definition of rad. Click for more killer images.
10. Finally, What it’s like to live without money, via SavvySugar
An introduction to Heidemarie Schwermer, the subject of a new film called “Living Without Money.” A native German, Schwermer house-sits, travels, and does odd jobs while successfully living sin dinero (errr, I mean, ohne Geld). She’s no spring chicken, nor is she a dumpster-diving hipster. Read through and re-think your life. Dare ya not to.
Well, friends, that’s all for now Have a wonderful weekend!
What are some great things you’ve seen this week?
Got any fun plans for the weekend?