Happy Thursday! I don’t know about you, but I’ve had a fabulous week so far. But! I’m still very much looking forward to the weekend :-) I’ve got a couple of nice, long runs planned, some good food to make and eat, and some quality time with my honey. What more could I ask for?
Lots to love around the webs these days. Here are some of my faves. Enjoy!
1. Smithsonian.com brought us the Best Science Visualizations of the Year:
The images range from illustrations to stunning photography, like this extreme close-up of a mouse’s retina! Mind-blowing stuff. Click the link above to view them all!
2. The Grindstone reminded us why right-brained women shouldn’t shy away from working in tech.
Tech has a reputation as a left-brain field, but in reality it’s the perfect sector for creative, right-brain problem-solvers — including many women who would never think of themselves as tech-y.
Agreed! I consider myself definitely skewed right, but I’ve worked in tech on and off for ten years and I love it! Not only do my creative abilities allow me to often see various sides of an issue that straight-up left-brainers might not see, it’s been useful for me to learn to balance my own hemispheres.
3. Wondering what’s up with chemicals and cosmetics? (If you’re following my 52 Tips, I bet you are ;)) This infographic spells it out!
It’s a self-regulated industry that has some serious lack of qualms about using nasty ingredients. Be cautious, my friends, be cautious.
4. A $1.99 toy store gun transformed into this stunning steampunk beauty! From Elsa of Ahem, via CRAFT.
It is ALL about the Rub’n’Buff, baby!
5. Hee hee. This visual pangram makes me giggle. Via Copyranter.
A quick brown fox jumping over a lazy dog. Ha!
6. From Wired UK, via Boing Boing: a tongue piercing that steers a wheelchair!
The output signals from the sensors are wirelessly transmitted to an iPod Touch or iPhone. Software installed on the Apple device works out the relative position of the magnet with respect to the array of sensors in real time and interprets the user’s commands. This information is then used to control the movements of a cursor on the computer screen or to substitute for the joystick function in a powered wheelchair.
Seriously amazing technology!
7. I’m in love with this room. Via Apartment Therapy.
That chandelier plus the cozy couch plus the table and layered rugs… oh, and the butter-yellow walls. Lurve it.
8. Taste and Tell had this awesome piña colada salad!
I’m dreaming of a Hawaiian vacay…………
9. LA in Bloom shared some faves from the Hadley Holliday exhibit at the Taylor de Cordoba gallery:
Gorgeous, eyeball-twisting work! Very inspiring.
10. Finally, for the parents, 6 tips for better Facebook parenting, via Mashable.
When shooting your child’s laptop isn’t an option! Just kidding. These are good tips for socially networking with your kiddos.
That’s all for now! Have a wonderful weekend!
What are some great things you’ve seen this week?
Got any fun plans for the weekend?